Friday, July 24, 2009

These are a few of my favorite rooms....


I keep a collage above my desk of rooms and images that never fail to inspire me. One of them is the dining room of former antique dealer extraordinaire, Acko Van Acker. Sadly his former shop on the rue de l'Universite' exists no more but years ago I had the great pleasure of visiting his shop. At the time it was one of the most interesting shops in Paris. He had an eye for the extraordinary and the unusual and he mixed in all together into a fantasy world of beauty, proof in the room above. It was the kind of shop you could truly spend hours in. If you have the book "Antiquaire" make sure you look for the photos of his shop.



Another room that always inspires is the Manhattan townhouse of Jane Holzer formerly known as Baby Jane Holzer who was one of Andy Warhol's superstars.
I have always loved the juxtaposition between modern and classical as the above photo shows. What a surprise to walk in this the entry of a classically designed building and find the John Dickinson metal console, surrounded by modern paintings, and the Giacometti chair. The box of fruit loops and the strange bouquet of black flowers add a very personal and unique touch to the rooms. I would pull up that fabulous Giacometti chair right up to the console and have myself a bowl of fruit loops. All I would need is a pitcher of milk!


I am the first to admit that I have and always will be a true Francophile. How I wish that I could have lived during the Ancien Regime. However I have lost interest in period rooms. Sure they are always fascinating to admire but again I love the mix of the 18th and 20th centuries as shown in the above. What makes this room so fresh and inspiring is many things. First the modern painting contrasted with the Louis XV chairs below. Second the omission of the expected rug and curtains. It is clear that the light coming into the room is perfect so why obstruct it with a window treatment. And the terracotta tiled floor has the most beautiful color and patina so why cover it. One can only imagine the view from the windows!

We are off to Boston for the weekend so I should have lot's of great photos to share with you next week.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

8 comments:

Beth Connolly said...

Michael-These are stunning. The first one I can't stop looking at. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle said...

These large canvases are just amazing!

Janet said...

I love a mix of l'ancien with the moderne. Adore that third room. Hope you had a good time in Boston...

Rose C'est La Vie said...

All these rooms have a strangely elegaic quality of their own. Nice.

Diane Dorrans Saeks said...

Hi Michael-

YOU ARE NOW OFFICIALLY ON MY FAVORITES BLOG ROLL ON MY BLOG...www.thestylesaloniste.com
Cheers so pleased.

I love love love your favorite rooms.

Note the monochromatic schemes, the quietness-and the greatest feature--not 'decorated'.

Beautiful!

seo company said...

I love the vase on the first picture. It looks antique.

water purifier Philippines said...

The rooms are very functional. No wonder these are your favorites.

SEO Company said...

These canvas are so beautiful.
i love these type of modern art.